Re: Minimum requirements for ODBC connectivity to Oracle database

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 01:49:19 -0700

"Alex" <sh2222_at_yahoo.com> wrote

> I have developed a VB application that uses Oracle 8i database for backend.
> The database server is on the local network. From my development machine,
> the application connects (via ODBC) to the database successfully. The
> problem is that I want to install this application on several Windows 2000
> client machines that do not have Oracle client installed (hence missing all
> the ODBC connectivity support files/drivers).

> What is the minimum
> requirements, in terms of support files, for ODBC connectivity to an Oracle
> 8i database (other than an Oracle ODBC driver)?

Oracle client networking (e.g. SQL*Net, Net8, Net9 - be careful though with Net8 and Net9 as there are problems using it to access old 7.x databases).

TCP/IP.
> Is it necessary to install
> SQL*Net or Net8 on the client machine?

Yes and no.

In most cases yes. There are however 3rd party solutions that provides a "native Oracle OCI driver" that includes Oracle networking within the driver. Thus no need for having to Oracle Net installed on the client.

Either way, you (or the client) need to fork out money for the Oracle client connectivity libraries. Though in Oracle's case, that I think is usually addressed by the overall licensing which is purchased by the client (I'm not exactly up to date, nor interested, in the financial/purchasing issues :-)

Look at the DOWNLOADS button at www.oracle.com (it is on the right of the title of the page). As another poster said, you will need to register. Registration is however free.

> Also, are they freeware?

No. You can download for evaluation purposes. You are *not* allowed to distribute them as "freeware" with your application.

--
Billy