Re: Why my Temporary tablespace is always 99% full ?

From: TC <donotuse_at_donotuse.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:08:36 GMT

Are you sure that even after the database is restarted the TEMP tablespace remains 99% full ?

Normally, in a temporary tablespace the allocated extents are not deallocated to save resource, instead these are reused. However, during a shutdown these do get deallocated. I presume you are doing a shutdown immediate or shutdown normal to take a cold backup and not a shutdown abort.

A trick that works for me, since I cannot shutdown the databases at will is, changing pctincrease to 1 and then again changing it back to 0, which kind'a forces the SMON to wake up.

If you do not have active sorts, very quickly changing the tablespace from type temporary to type permanent and changing it back helps too, the risk being that if an active sort is there, you will be stuck with a tablespace TEMP of type permanent.

//tc