Re: Problem with Win2K DB service

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:37:55 +0200

Teresa Redmond wrote:
> Hi, all;
>
> I'm trying to set up an Oracle 8i (8.1.5) database on a Windows 2000
> server as a practice run (or six) before helping in a database
> rebuild/export/import. I installed the database and Enterprise
> Manager mistakenly, yesterday, on the C drive, which didn't have
> enough room. Lesson learned: check space available before you start.
> At any rate, I got the database instance started, named X, which is
> now a Service in Windows Services.
>
> Today, uninstalled everything, re-installed on D, am trying to set up
> the database again, but can't use name X. Now, the reason I want to
> use name X is because I'm trying to do an import of a full export from
> the existing DB, named X. I've been told that you have to build a DB
> to import into that is exactly like the one you exported, *before* you
> do the import, and I'm pretty sure I've read this, also, at
>
> http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/F49540_01/DOC/index.htm
>
> somewhere. Or at least that it's easier to do this. My question: How
> do I delete (or remove) the Service under Windows, that the Oracle
> Installer didn't delete? I've gone into the registry, and it's not
> under HKLM-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Services. But it *is* under
> HKLM-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Root, as LEGACY-ORACLESERVICEX, and the
> Registry won't let me edit this at all, but I think this may be the
> problem.

DO you have *local* administrative rights? You *need* that!. Judging from your statement, it looks like you do not. You describe exactly where the services are located in the registry...

You can always use the oradim tool:
oradim -delete -sid x
oradim -new -sid x -pfile d:\.... -intpwd .... -etc, etc.

Use oradim -help to see all options.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel