Problem with Win2K DB service

From: Teresa Redmond <tredmond_at_anteon.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:45:58 GMT

Hi, all;

I'm trying to set up an Oracle 8i (8.1.5) database on a Windows 2000 server as a practice run (or six) before helping in a database rebuild/export/import. I installed the database and Enterprise Manager mistakenly, yesterday, on the C drive, which didn't have enough room. Lesson learned: check space available before you start. At any rate, I got the database instance started, named X, which is now a Service in Windows Services.

Today, uninstalled everything, re-installed on D, am trying to set up the database again, but can't use name X. Now, the reason I want to use name X is because I'm trying to do an import of a full export from the existing DB, named X. I've been told that you have to build a DB to import into that is exactly like the one you exported, *before* you do the import, and I'm pretty sure I've read this, also, at

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/F49540_01/DOC/index.htm

somewhere. Or at least that it's easier to do this. My question: How do I delete (or remove) the Service under Windows, that the Oracle Installer didn't delete? I've gone into the registry, and it's not under HKLM-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Services. But it *is* under HKLM-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Root, as LEGACY-ORACLESERVICEX, and the Registry won't let me edit this at all, but I think this may be the problem.

I'm trying the import anyway, just to see how things go. This being a testing setup, I can wipe it all and start over as often as I (don't) like to...

Thanks, all, for your help and time.

--
Teresa Redmond
Programmer/Analyst II