Confused. FULL IMPORT using Oracle 8.1.7

From: Subrahmanyam Arya <avsrk_at_mailcity.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 12:11:35 -0800

Dear oracle gurus,

Let me first admit this.I know very little of DBA tasks. I am totally confused on the Import/Export utility usage/issues. I looked into oracle docs /metalink but could not gather a clear procedure for FULL IMPORT.
I want to do a full export of the database instance on machine A running 8.1.7 and import this full on second machine again running 8.1.7 only

I tried various combinations (export FULL as sys and import FULL as sys) , (export FULL as system and import FULL as system ) All of them resulted in so many errors

I also tried exporting FULL as system and the importing as SYSTEM but not full and selected users using fROMUSER, TOUSER. Even this failed I get user does not exist

Put in a simple way "What are the steps i need to follow for Recreating a database on a second machine using Export/Import ? "

-your help is really appreciated,
needy
avsrk Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 21:11:35 CET

Original text of this message