Re: Confused. FULL IMPORT using Oracle 8.1.7

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:52:48 -0800

> I tried various combinations (export FULL as sys and import FULL as

The correct syntax is:

exp system/whatever_at_whatever full=y .....

That's how you specify the parameters for exp.

> I also tried exporting FULL as system and the importing as SYSTEM but
> not full and selected users using fROMUSER, TOUSER. Even this failed I
> get user does not exist

Be careful, I doubt you should import system or sys objects. As you IMPort objects, the relevant data dictionary entries get created, you'd do better if you stayed away from restoring system objects.

Having said that, if you really want to do this, you should do this:

imp <login info> fromuser=system .....

That will import all the system objects from the dump file. You do not need to specify TOUSER if the destination user is the same as the source username.

If you want to import stuff, make sure you create the destination user before you do an import.

> Put in a simple way "What are the steps i need to follow for
> Recreating a database on a second machine using Export/Import ? "

What I do is this:

  1. Do a full export from the source machine
  2. On the destination machine re-create the users to hold the target schemas.
  3. On the destination machine run imp with the parameter fromuser=(user1,user2,....) to import all the schemas' objects from the dump file.

That's it in a nutshell really. Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 21:52:48 CET

Original text of this message