Re: A newbie question concerning changing users in Oracle8

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 04:50:44 -0800

dvillalo_at_avega.com (dg) wrote in message news:<921a292a.0301231305.3177595a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Sys and internal are the same account (when you connect internal, you
> are logging in as sys). Therefore if you changed the password for
> sys, this would also be the same password for internal.
>
> i.e. if the SYS password were "BOAT"
>
> CONNECT INTERNAL/BOAT
>
> and
>
> CONNECT SYS/BOAT AS SYSDBA
>
> would do the same thing.
>
> If you can still get into your system account, you can change SYS's
> password back to whatever you want.
>

> "ena" <billie5xxREMOVE_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<b0odsa$df3c$1_at_as201.hinet.hr>...
> > Following the ALTER USER command I tried changing SYS schema password. Now I
> > can't log into Oracle8 with INTERNAL/ ORACLE. I'm not sure if this problem
> > is related to SYS schema password changing but it started happening then.
> > Later I turned back the old password (CHANGE_ON_INSTALL) and I've also tried
> > uninstalling Oracle Client on my machine but it still won't work.
> > Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Is there some file where I
> > can fix this manually?
> > Any suggestion would be of real help.
> >
> > Thank you, Billie.

Unfortunately this is NOT true.
If the init.ora remote_login_password_file parameter has been set to EXCLUSIVE the internal password and the SYS password are by design the same, and running alter user sys identified will also change the internal password.
If the parameter is NONE or SHARED the two passwords are NOT identical.
Billie must have set the parameter to exclusive (verify this in sql*plus or svrmgrl: show parameter or select value from v$parameter where name = '<parameter name in lower case>' If he wants two passwords, he must change the parameter to SHARED (sys and internal have SYSDBA privilege) or NONE (only internal has SYSDBA privilege) and bounce the database.

Uninstalling the client is NOT necessary.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 13:50:44 CET

Original text of this message