Re: A newbe question about importing a dmp and creating a tablespace

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 22:05:01 -0800

"Jens Fudge" <Jens.Fudge_at_archersoft.dk> wrote in message news:<3e2fc1f9$0$148$edfadb0f_at_dread15.news.tele.dk>...
> Hi there
>
> I have installed an Oracle 8.1.7i PE Oracle database on a Win98 machine.
> I need to import a dmp file from a specific user.
> The guy who gave me the dump file, said that I need to create a table space
> for it.
>
> How do I create a tablespace?

You can fill in the blanks. login as sys as sysdba. create tablespace <tablespace_name> datafile 'path\dbfile.dbf' size <size> default storage (<storage clause>);

> Do I need to create a user with the same name as the dmp's user? Or does it
> do this automatically?

You don't have to have the same name user. Use fromuser=<dump file user> and touser=<database user> imp switches.

> If I need to create a user, how do I do this?

login as sys as sysdba.
create user <xxxx>
identified by <password>
default tablespace <tablespace_name from above> temporary tablespace <temp>
profile <default>
quota unlimited on <tablespace_name from above>;

Grants to connect,
grant create session to <user from above>; grant alter session to <user from above>; grant create <table|view|package|... etc> to <user from above>;

I am not familiar with PE on Win9x but above should work as expected. This is all listed in your Oracle docs. You can also visit http://tahiti.oracle.com

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 07:05:01 CET

Original text of this message