Re: Oracle treatment of fully qualified names

From: Peter Nolan <peternolan9_at_eircom.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:28:59 -0000

Hi Jim,
yep..fully understand the databases are different......what I am looking to do is this. I have written a product that does some very 'cool' things in loading large star scehma DWs.....the initial version runs on win2000/sql server and uses odbc as the database access mechanism. I'd like to get it going on oracle/db2 udb on win2000 then unix........

I've been using the ODBC reference manual to keep the ODBC code ODBC 3.0 compliant.....hence the question as to what is a 'catalog' in Oracle and whether it support 3 level qualifiers..... it would be nice not to have a whole lot of switch statements to generate different calls for different databases, that's what ODBC support should give me...:-)

Best Regards

Peter
www.peternolan.net

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:rULU9.671823$WL3.707900_at_rwcrnsc54...
> Oracle != SQL Server.(or DB2)
> The database is not "needed" because you can only connect to one database
 on
> a connection. You can refer to multiple schemas in a database. eg
> scott.emp where scott is the schema owner of the scott schema. So
 scott.emp
> is the fully qualified name.
> Jim
>

> "Peter Nolan" <peternolan9_at_eircom.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Describe the Oracle equivalent of catalog.
> > >
> > Hi Frank,
> > the ODBC documentation cites a number of functions that require
 'catalog'
 as
> > a parameter. In SQL Server 2000 when ODBC wants a 'catalog' what it
 wants
 is