Re: Oracle treatment of fully qualified names

From: Peter Nolan <peternolan9_at_eircom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:33:05 -0000

> Describe the Oracle equivalent of catalog.

Hi Frank,
the ODBC documentation cites a number of functions that require 'catalog' as a parameter. In SQL Server 2000 when ODBC wants a 'catalog' what it wants is the database name. I am guessing that under Oracle 'catalog' has the same meaning, database name.

In SQL Server select * from database.schema.table is a valid SQL statement, and if my memory serves me it is in DB2...but that was a long time ago....It doesn't look like it is in Oracle.

Thanks
Peter
www.peternolan.net Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 23:33:05 CET

Original text of this message