Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:30:21 GMT

Salsa Shark wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:43:56 +0100, Obnoxio The Clown
> <obnoxio_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >1. TPC-H benchmark. the XPS benchmark is pretty much two years old.
> >Hardly surprising then, given Moore's law, that current benchmarks show
> >better bang and better bang per buck.
>
> Besides the fact that NO ONE is implementing Oracle 9i's RAC. The
> issues with the distributed lock manager still exist and always
> will...even Microsoft is grudgingly moving towards a shared-nothing
> architecture (even though it isn't going to be in Yukon as originally
> planned).
>
> >18 characters for database objects -- Errr...128 -- did you make a typo?
>
> Not until 8.40.
>
> >Page size can only be 2 or 4k -- so?
>
> 8K as well.
>
> >Sagent supports ODBC only for Informix -- who is Sagent?
>
> A niche player. And the ODBC performance issues are largely
> invalid...ODBC is damn near identical to CLI now...

Excuse me! Exactly where did you get the idea that NO ONE is implementing Oracle 9i's RAC?

Perhaps Boeing, AT&T, and Washington Mutual Bank are companies too small for you to notice. I am aware of more than one dozen companies, just in the Seattle area, using it.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 17:30:21 CEST

Original text of this message