Re: oracle install on linux

From: James Sullivan <jsulliva77_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 12:12:34 -0700

I appreciate the great responses I have gotten! I am attempting to install oracle 8.1.7.3 on Red Hat linux 7.2. I am using fvwm2 as a Xwindow manager.

I have check the install logs, and it appears to just stop(ie, its installing various parts, and then just stops randomly, no error).

As far as why, I work for a ERP2 vendor and need to have a DB on a linux box and the front end on a windows box.. Once the database is running, it will be the only thing running, and the transactions will be miniscule, hence the loads will be extremely tiny. I have installed oracle8.1.7.3 on RH linux 7.2 servers with 2gb ram and am essentially following the same procedure( ie, modify the kernel to increase shared mem pool and semaphores, increased swap, etc...). The documentation says that the hardware I have is sufficient...

I have installed it on the same machine back when it was running windows, and it worked...seems to be the linux install..

james