Re: DBA career question

From: raghu <raghu1ra_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 21:47:15 -0800

tluton_at_tekwerx.net (Todd Luton) wrote in message news:<3ab8a53.0202121413.7540e645_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Mitch" <mgroenen_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<fU_98.8$zj7.12449_at_news1.telusplanet.net>...
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I have been a network guy for about 10 years and have been contemplating
> > becoming a Oracle DBA for a change of pace.
> >
> > Could I get some comments on the typical questions asked of the DBA
> > certification (how useful it is in the real world) and how good my chances
> > are at finding entry level work after completing the OCP.
> >
> > Ideally I would like to contract around but realize that I will probably
> > need 3-4 years of good experience before that will happen. If you have any
> > comments on the contracting world as a DBA I would welcome those as well...
> >
> > thanks
>
> Mitch,
>
> The questions on the OCP exams cover key concepts that are central to
> running an Oracle database. The questions themselves are often taken
> directly from the Oracle documentation. The coverage of the subject
> matter is fairly thorough and in depth so do not underestimate how
> difficult it will be for you if you are not already in the database
> environment. If you are not already a DBA or have been working with
> Oracle, I would sign up for a series of classes and exam prep
> otherwise you will find it difficult or impossible to pass.
>
> The exam in and of itself is not much use without at least some real
> world experience. It signifies some core understanding of Oracle
> database fundamentals, and coupled with experience it makes for a nice
> package. It is similar to a college degree in that regard.
>
> As far as contracting goes, I have been a contract DBA for three
> years. I went directly to contracting with only limited prior DBA
> experience and a fresh OCP logo on my resume, but I already had
> several other established Oracle skill-sets (Forms/Designer/Financials
> etc..).
>
> The market then was better three years ago. Right now I would say you
> would have a difficult time getting a contract DBA position. I get
> fantastic resumes across my desk everyday - 1Oyears of experience +
> OCP and no one is picking them up.
>
> I will say if you have good Unix skills that you will be well served.
> Unix with Oracle is big plus. If you have NT skills it will not help
> you as much.
>
> Todd
>
> Todd Luton
> Oracle8 OCP
> GEICO Internet Division

hi todd
this is regarding your observation that we require real time expereience as a DBA to become an OCP. I strictly does not have any work experience yet i was able to pass OCP. so i would like to say is that at least for Oracle Certification we do not require any experience. but a through knowledge of Oracle Syllabus thats all. regards
Raghu Ram
Certified DBA Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 06:47:15 CET

Original text of this message