Re: DBA career question

From: Todd Luton <tluton_at_tekwerx.net>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 14:13:45 -0800

"Mitch" <mgroenen_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<fU_98.8$zj7.12449_at_news1.telusplanet.net>...
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been a network guy for about 10 years and have been contemplating
> becoming a Oracle DBA for a change of pace.
>
> Could I get some comments on the typical questions asked of the DBA
> certification (how useful it is in the real world) and how good my chances
> are at finding entry level work after completing the OCP.
>
> Ideally I would like to contract around but realize that I will probably
> need 3-4 years of good experience before that will happen. If you have any
> comments on the contracting world as a DBA I would welcome those as well...
>
> thanks

Mitch,

The questions on the OCP exams cover key concepts that are central to running an Oracle database. The questions themselves are often taken directly from the Oracle documentation. The coverage of the subject matter is fairly thorough and in depth so do not underestimate how difficult it will be for you if you are not already in the database environment. If you are not already a DBA or have been working with Oracle, I would sign up for a series of classes and exam prep otherwise you will find it difficult or impossible to pass.

The exam in and of itself is not much use without at least some real world experience. It signifies some core understanding of Oracle database fundamentals, and coupled with experience it makes for a nice package. It is similar to a college degree in that regard.

As far as contracting goes, I have been a contract DBA for three years. I went directly to contracting with only limited prior DBA experience and a fresh OCP logo on my resume, but I already had several other established Oracle skill-sets (Forms/Designer/Financials etc..).

The market then was better three years ago. Right now I would say you would have a difficult time getting a contract DBA position. I get fantastic resumes across my desk everyday - 1Oyears of experience + OCP and no one is picking them up.

I will say if you have good Unix skills that you will be well served. Unix with Oracle is big plus. If you have NT skills it will not help you as much.

Todd

Todd Luton
Oracle8 OCP
GEICO Internet Division Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 23:13:45 CET

Original text of this message