Re: Oracle Personal Edition - need help (newbie)

From: Hassan Ayub <hassan_ayub_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2001 23:39:28 -0700

Hi there,

     First of tell me whether you are trying to install on Windows 2000 Professional or Server and when you talk about the link/connectivity...is it the database with the Developer 2000 tool or just the database....
In order to install Personal Oracle 8i on with Developer 2000 (ver 6.0) on WIN 2K Professional edition, follow the following steps:

  1. First install Personal Oracle 8i on your computer and simply follow the instructions...make sure that you choose the Personal Oracle 8i option and not the client edition option.
  2. The directory in which database will be installed is c:\Oracle.
  3. After this install Developer 2000 (ver 6.0) which will be installed in Orant directory.
  4. For connectivity copy sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora from your Oracle 8i home to your Developer 2000 home. In your Oracle 8i home these files are in Oracle\Network\Admin and copy these files in Orant\Net80\Admin of Developer 2000 directory. Make sure to make copies of the existing sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora of your Developer 2000 on a separate floopy...in case if this does not work...but beleive me it works and I'm using it....

all the best

happy databasing!!!

Hassan Ayub Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 08:39:28 CEST

Original text of this message