Re: How to change Oracle Database to run in "Archive Mode"

From: NICK <NICHOLAS.F.TRINCIA_at_DUPONTPHARMA.COM>
Date: 24 Sep 2001 11:24:50 -0700

postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl (Sybrand Bakker) wrote in message news:<a20d28ee.0109240003.6753185b_at_posting.google.com>...
> uwindsor322_at_yahoo.com (J S) wrote in message news:<7f1f36ad.0109210805.7a4e4669_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Our database on Oracle v8.1.6 was setup in "NONE" Archive mode. For
> > reasons not known to me. When when we want to backup our Database
> > using Veritas Backup exec, we discovered that our DB should be running
> > in Archive Mode.
> >
> > Can anyone help me do that, change to Archive Mode on a current DB.
> >
> > TIA, JSN
>
> The procedure to accomplish this is described in the Oracle Server
> administrators manual.
> Basically : shutdown, startup mount, alter database archivelog, alter
> database open. Of course you can't recover to before the change, so yo
> should make a cold backup after the change.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

```````````````````````````````````

You must also add the following to your init<SID>.ora and bounce the database
once the changes have been made...

log_archive_start = true
log_archive_dest = E:\oradata....\archive <full path to archive destination>

once all is done, enter svrmgr as internal, and enter the command :

     archive log list;

This should tell you that you are in archive log mode (enabled).

Then issue the following command:

     alter system switch logfile;

A couple of additional things to think about... -A utility called delold.exe (shareware) can be set up to delete files that
reach a certain age. I delete my archive log files that are > 30 days old.

-Duplex your archive logs so if your destination drive dies, you have your
archive logs on another drive. This is a judgement call, which should  depend on drive fault tolerance, server config, performance degredation etc. If you wish to do this, the following line can be added to your init<SID>.ora
log_archive_dest_2=f:\oradata....\archive <full path to archive destination>
There is a slight performance impact, but it should be minimal

-You should always do a test recovery to ensure your datafiles are written properly to tape. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Good luck..

Nick Trincia
Associate Oracle DBA Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 20:24:50 CEST

Original text of this message