Re: DBA Oracle Certification (OCP)

From: Will <wkooiman_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 23:46:59 -0700

"K&SJ" <usdoj_at_home.com> wrote in message news:<Y8s17.114937$mG4.55695887_at_news1.mntp1.il.home.com>...
> I just took my 1st OCP exam and MUCH to my surprise the test was NOTHING
> like the Oracle DBA Study Guide or the study questions. Also, the exam was
> on a computer that made it hard to answer the questions as you had to scroll
> the screen all the time.
>
> My question is this - I thought I was good at this stuff, and did not pass.
> I just did not study the right stuff. There were also three questions that
> I have never seen. One as about "PROJECTING" in SQL*Plus. Have any of you
> seen this? I'm NOT complaining, or giving up, just feeling frustrated that
> I studied a lot and have many years of experience and did not pass this.
>
> Any thoughts so this does not happen again?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stu

It's a fairly common perception that the OCP certification is a "Bolo Badge". That is, it doesn't test the right things, and having an OCP certification doesn't mean the person knows anything about Oracle. I've known senior Oracle DBA's that didn't pass the DBA exam.

I don't mean to be knocking the OCP program. It's a pretty common practice for big companies to come up with stuff like that to increase their revenue. Just don't take it as a personal knock. If you know your "stuff", the OCP doesn't matter. If you don't know your "stuff", the OCP won't save you.

Will. Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 08:46:59 CEST

Original text of this message