Re: oracle

From: Stefan Lang <s.lang_at_computer.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:12:44 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:38:03 GMT, "Steve Foley" <steve.DELETEfoley_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>See
>
>http://www.progress.com/analyst/aberdeen_1199.htm
>
>For a Cost of Ownership analysis. You can guess what comes out lowest based
>on who is publishing it. From my experience, I was able to support a
>Progress based ERP package alone. When my employer moved to an Oracle based
>package, it took 5 people to support it. You will need a full time Database
>Administrator for an Oracle database. You may not if using progress.

True, you will need significant more DBA power to run ORACLE.

I moved from PROGRESS 8.3B to ORACLE (both "Enterprise" editions) and I am running both now without significant problems.

ORACLE is the much better Database, but it will cost you DBA ressources. This had become much better with the new Enterprise manager tools.

But be aware: ORACLE has a high functionality and you are responsible if you use and need all functions. PROGRESS ha a low functinality with nearly no extra DBA cost.

I think you should decide only on the base of your ERP package wich Database you need. Use the one wich is running mre then 80% of their customers. Received on Mon Nov 13 2000 - 23:12:44 CET

Original text of this message