Re: oracle

From: Stefan Lang <s.lang_at_computer.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:22:30 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:37:54 -0500, "Jim Busch" <jbusch_at_tir.com> wrote:

>I have a question I was hoping I could get some information on. Here is the
>question.
>
>We in the final stages of picking a new ERP package. The two finalist run
>on different databases. One runs on Oracle Standard version 8. The second
>runs on Progress Enterprise version 9 . I am trying to find any information
>on the differences between the two databases. Is there really any
>differences and what those differences might be. I also am trying to
>determine what the real differences between the various oracle products are.
>Do I need the Enterprise version or will standard work for us and what
>exactly are the differences between them. I do not want to get 6 months into
>the project and find out I need an upgrade. That would not go over well
>with the owners. The progress provider is saying you can not perform live
>backs with Oracle standard version. He is also saying I will need to upgrade
>to the Oracle Enterprise solution in the near future for E-Business and
>licensing cost will skyrocket. I find this hard to believe but I need to
>run it down. I am trying to determine over 5 years which each one would
>cost more. I am comparing licenses, maintenance, training and support
>costs. If anyone has any thoughts or has some good information I would
>greatly appreciate it.

Rules:

It depends only on your ERP decision! Does the ERP run on both ORACLE and PROGRESS ? Choose the one that is running over 80% of the other customers.

If your ERP is developed with PROGRESS 4Gl and you need no extra Tools that are working ONLY with ORACLE choose Progress and not ORACLE.

In all other cases choose ORACLE.

You will find comparisions of ORACLE Standard and ORACLE Enterprise on the ORACLE Web.

For non trivial use (24hx7days operating, high performance requirements, special modules, high User counts) you will need the Enterprise edition. That depends only on your ERP.

For some high end machines you can only buy the Enterprise License (e.g. more then 4 Processors).