Re: Replication won't work on 8i

From: Ramanarao Chamarty <rchamart_at_thunder.temple.edu>
Date: 1999/12/21

Firstly, Donot user OEM 2.0.4 ( known bugs). Use the scripts. preferrably. IF using OEM , try using 1.6 replication manager.

Hope it helps. It is simple if everyyhing works. Especially on NT, be wary about patches and versions. Also submit : exact error messages.

Ramanarao Chamarty
rchamart_at_temple.edu

: Wayne

 Menzie wrote: :
: > I'm trying to set up a simple environment to test out Multi-Master
: > replication. Here's what I've done so far to no avail.
: >
: > I installed 8i on two NT servers using the typical option and Oracle
: > Enterprise Manager Server on one of the systems. I was able to create
: > users, tables, links, sequences and triggers on both databases from SQL
: > Plus and OEM without a problem.
: >
: > I installed OEM and Oracle Replication Manager on my workstation and was
: > able to do all the above tasks. When I attempted to use the Replication
: > Manger Wizard it would run but never set up a Replication Group. It did
: > create a REPADMIN user as well as a public and private database link in
: > both databases. I tried running the Replication Manager Wizard again, it
: > notified me that there was already a propagator set and asked for the
: > propagator password.
: >
: > I canceled the wizard, deleted the REPADMIN user and all database links
: > from both servers and and grabbed my copy of Oracle Distributed Systems
: > from O'Reilly. I set shared_mem_pool to 64 MB and ran catproc.sql,
: > catrep.sql and catrepad.sql on both machines. Then I followed the
: > directions to create the public database link, REPADMIN user, private
: > database link and set REPADMIN as propagator.
: >
: > After all this, I set up a Replication Group, added a table object to the
: > group and tried to add a master site and I kept getting the error that my
: > link could not find the database. At this point, it was 4:30 in the
: > morning so I went home.
: >
: > Now, with a few hours of sleep under my belt and a renewed desire to make
: > this work, can anybody see what I did wrong? The Replication Manager seems
: > to be buggy at best but that can be explained by the beta status. I know
: > Multi-Master replication can work. How can I make it work for me? Thanks
: > for your time and hopefully help.
: >
: > Wayne Menzie
:
: --------------50790D849EC7FE586E3FD256
: filename="psharman.vcf"
:
: begin:vcard
: n:Sharman;Pete
: tel;cell:+1.650.868.9969
: tel;fax:+1.650.633.1506
: tel;work:+1.650.607.0109
: x-mozilla-html:FALSE
: org:Advanced Technology Solutions;Oracle Corporation
: adr:;;500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-A4019;Redwood Shores;CA;94403;USA
: version:2.1
: email;internet:psharman_at_us.oracle.com
: title:Managing Principal Consultant
: x-mozilla-cpt:;9088
: fn:Pete Sharman
: end:vcard