Replication won't work on 8i

From: Wayne Menzie <waynem_at_bosmedtechdotcom.nospam>
Date: 1999/12/21

I'm trying to set up a simple environment to test out Multi-Master replication. Here's what I've done so far to no avail.

I installed 8i on two NT servers using the typical option and Oracle Enterprise Manager Server on one of the systems. I was able to create users, tables, links, sequences and triggers on both databases from SQL Plus and OEM without a problem.

I installed OEM and Oracle Replication Manager on my workstation and was able to do all the above tasks. When I attempted to use the Replication Manger Wizard it would run but never set up a Replication Group. It did create a REPADMIN user as well as a public and private database link in both databases. I tried running the Replication Manager Wizard again, it notified me that there was already a propagator set and asked for the propagator password.

I canceled the wizard, deleted the REPADMIN user and all database links from both servers and and grabbed my copy of Oracle Distributed Systems from O'Reilly. I set shared_mem_pool to 64 MB and ran catproc.sql, catrep.sql and catrepad.sql on both machines. Then I followed the directions to create the public database link, REPADMIN user, private database link and set REPADMIN as propagator.

After all this, I set up a Replication Group, added a table object to the group and tried to add a master site and I kept getting the error that my link could not find the database. At this point, it was 4:30 in the morning so I went home.

Now, with a few hours of sleep under my belt and a renewed desire to make this work, can anybody see what I did wrong? The Replication Manager seems to be buggy at best but that can be explained by the beta status. I know Multi-Master replication can work. How can I make it work for me? Thanks for your time and hopefully help.

Wayne Menzie Received on Tue Dec 21 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message