Re: converting access to oracle8

From: Gerben Tissink <g.tissink_at_inter.nl.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 21:34:25 +0200

itguy wrote:

> I've been trying for the last 3 days to migrate an MS Access 97 database
> to Oracle 8 for Netware, with no success.

The best way to migrate MS Access tables to Oracle is to make use MS Access. MS Access can, provided you have a ODBC link to the Oracle Database, export tables to Oracle. I've done it with Oracle server 7. It's slow but it work.

Mind the following:
1. Oracle uses uppercase table names.

   Change all Access tablenames in uppercase

2. The same for Columns names
3. Test the ODBC link to Oracle
4. Run export wizard in Access.
5. Generate FK,UK etc manually
6. Check result

Another way is using Delphi Datapump. This is an utility which is shipped with Inprise Borland Delphi 4 C/S. Works about the same.

Greetings
G.Tissink Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 21:34:25 CEST

Original text of this message