Re: Using Borland C++ Builder

From: George Shears <gjshears_at_prodigy.net>
Date: 1999/03/02

Peggy Li wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Our company is asking programmer to write a database using Borland C++
> Builder. I have never use the Borland C++ Builder before. Is it a good
> tool to use for databases like relationship?

If you are committed to developing a database program in C++ then Borland C++ Builder would, in my opinion, almost always be the best way to go.

> What about compare to
> Viusal Basic and MS Access? Which one is better? Pls help me to solve
> out this problem.

"Better" is a relative term. For the vast majority of the database tasks which I encounter, Access is "Better" because it provides a good balance of ease of use, flexibility, data integrity and performance. In terms of ease of use, I think that the programs could be ordered as follows (Easiest First)

Access
VB
Borland C++ Builder (BCB)
C++ Compiler with MFC or OWL

In terms of sheer raw performance and programming flexibility, you can invert the above list but note that I consider the gap between BCB and MS Visual C++ on performance to be very small.

You will need to work harder to insure data integrity in BCB than you would in Access but it can be done.

You can check out the borland.public.cppbuilder._________ newsgroups for additional information. If they are not on your regular Newsserver you can use the Forums.Borland.Com Newsserver to access them. You will find a number of people there who use BCB as the Front End to an Access Database.

George

George Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message