Re: Still OS Authentication

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: 1999/01/27

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:31:58 -0500, Joe Kazimierczyk <kazimiej_at_bms.com> wrote:
>--------------20D127D9937F3F3C7B5F7CF8
>
>There is a bug where root cannot connect to ops$ accounts via ORACLE_SID. All other
>users work, only root has this problem. A workaround is to unset ORACLE_SID, and set
>TWO_TASK instead. I can't locate the bug number. We've run into this problem on
>Solaris with all versions of oracle from 7.1 to 7.3.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Or at least it used to be explicit that you could not do this.

Some habits you might consider cultivating:

You should avoid calling anything "test" on unix. It is too easy to make errors that will cause precedence rules to break scripts with decision points in them.

You should avoid running things as root unless you have to.

--
These opinions are my own.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry   Remove nospam to reply.