Re: Which is better - more tables or more DSN's ???

From: <john_kozubik_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1999/01/18

> Ahhh! DSN = Data Source Name (in ODBC)
> Do you really want to use ODBC? Probably not if performance is critical!

Ok, well here is what we know. We _will_ be running Oracle 8 on Linux. We will be running a web server. We will be serving up pages enriched with "dynamic" content from the database, and writing input from the web _into_ the database. Finally, we will be serving up images on web pages that will be taken from the database (using the Oracle 8 feature that allows you to store binary files in the database, and use the database as a file system of sorts).

How would you propose doing this, if not with ODBC? Bear in mind that the web server is not only on a different machine, but perhaps a different platofrm altogether - and probably one that knows nothing about Oracle. And Yes, performance is a _big_ issue.

Any thoughts, etc. are appreciated....

-john