Re: How do you manage Databases?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/20

In article <34d4ece2.33037970_at_client.news.psi.net>, T. Max Devlin <mdevlin_at_eltrax.com> wrote:
>I don't see any responses to this. Maybe I just haven't picked them up.
>But I'll throw out some of my patented brutally-honest, sure-to-offend,
>but practically-based experience:

comp.databases.oracle is a defunct group (although one might think not since it's getting a couple of dozen posts a day, just from ending with "oracle"). Use comp.databases.oracle.server or comp.databases.oracle.misc instead.

I saw a demo of the Platinum stuff yesterday, it's starting to get fairly impressive. When I asked the guy if it can work through a firewall, he said "No, but we expect to have a java-based browser solution by the end of '98." Some of the stuff is both Motif and Windows, some is Windows only. With Oracle, anyways, I've come to the attitude that the market has pretty much forced (or been forced into) having a Windows machine around, even for an otherwise pure unix shop.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry_at_eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com