How do you manage Databases?

From: <ekrieter_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1998/01/10

I would like some feed back from those of you who are out there in the trenches. I would like to understand better on what I can and cannot do regarding being able to manage my companys' databases, specifically oracle and sybase (although it could be any database). The rational for monitoring these, is that like other business out there, ours is critically dependent on our databases being up and running. Currently, our DB's are running on Sun E4000's. I manage the network infrastructure via HP Openview running on a Sun Solaris/Ultra Enterprise 2. I am under the impression that I will be able to reasonably be able to monitor things outside of the databases. By things I mean disk capacity, CPU utilization, memory usage and others. Are you monitoring these things also? What suggestions might anyone have?

What about internally to the databases? Here is where I'm less informed. Could I do anything to tables from Openview without adding additional products? I am aware HP has Smart plugins for Oracle? Does anybody like these addins? For some reason, they may require IT/Operations. Can we get by with just HPOV NNM? I've heard IT/O is expensive(very), anybody know a ball park price?

How about the Patrol agents? Do they integrate at all with Openview?

And what about HP's own snmp Extensible agents? What can they do in regards to database monitoring?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences! Thanks! Received on Sat Jan 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message