Conversion from MS Access to Oracle

From: <joelb_at_fisi.sitel.net>
Date: 1997/10/08

Dear All,

Greetings.

Subject: Conversion from Access Database to Oracle Database

Hardware and Software Details :

Front End : Visual Basic 5.0

Current Back End  :  Access 2.0
New Back End      :  Oracle 7.3.3
Server            :  IBM AIX.

Problem Definition : (SQL Syntax Conversions)

We developed an application with a Visual Basic front end and a Microsoft Access back end to capture information about the potential customers we call. We are now experiencing growing pains and are trying to convert our application to a VB front end with an Oracle back end (7.3.3) on an IBM AIX platform. We are using an Oracle73 ODBC driver for the connection to the database.

The problem that we are having is that some of our queries that worked with the Access database do not work with the Oracle database. Specifically, we are experiencing problems with INNER JOINS, LEFT JOINS, and RIGHT JOINS.

Here is a simple example of a query that will work when VB application accesses the Access DB but will not work when it accesses the Oracle DB.

SELECT tblDialer.EntityID, tblAPPLead.EntityID, tblDialer.ProjectNum FROM tblDialer LEFT JOIN tblAPPLead ON tblDialer.EntityID = tblAPPLead.EntityID

Is a LEFT JOIN compliant with SQL ANSI 92 standards? Do we need a different syntax?

Please advise on how to resolve this issue.

Any help that can be given would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance.

      http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet Received on Wed Oct 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message