Re: Conversion from MS Access to Oracle

From: David Small <SmallD_at_csi.com>
Date: 1997/10/14

One way to re-write the query is in ODBCese as I call it. I've taken your SQL statement and converted it...

SELECT tblDialer.EntityID, tblAPPLead.EntityID, tblDialer.ProjectNum FROM {oj tblDialer LEFT OUTER JOIN tblAPPLead ON tblDialer.EntityID = tblAPPLead.EntityID}

There are three things to note about this statement:

  1. I preceded the first table in the FROM clause with a "{oj ". The bracket indicated that this is the beginning of an escape sequence that the ODBC driver must translate to the native format. In fact there are all sorts of escape sequences documented in the ODBC SDK Reference Manual.
  2. I replaced your "LEFT JOIN" with "LEFT OUTER JOIN". This also applies to RIGHT OUTER JOINS.
  3. I ended the escape sequence with the "}" character.
  4. While Oracle supports nested OUTER JOINS (more than two tables), their ODBC drivers do not. Thus the following will NOT work...

        FROM {oj a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.ID = b.ID LEFT OUTER JOIN c ON b.ID = c.ID}

Good luck-

David Small, MCPS
Blessing/White, Inc. Received on Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message