Re: What is a relational database?

From: KE Fein <kfein_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1997/09/18

Joe We are Borg Foster wrote:
[snip]

>Avoid Oracle if you can, since it's a real pain to set up and
>maintain. On one project, some of their own consultants failed
>after two weeks of trying to get their database server up and
>running on customer hardware, but we had SQL Server, originally
>based on Sybase code, up and running in half an hour. Sybase's
>product line supports a variety of server platforms, including
>Unix, NetWare, Windows NT, Windows 95, and even OS/2. See if they
>can meet your needs.
>[snip]
Sounds like opinion. I wouldn't pick a DBMS based only on installation ease. Foxpro/ISAM or B-Trieve is easy to install on those platforms, so would that make them a better choice based on your criterea? I don't know why the consultants failed. Didn't they tell you?

I have supported both Oracle and SQLServer as database developer and DBA. Ease of administration can usually mean lack of administration tools for tuning, performance, maintainability and recoverability. This is the case for SQLServer(MS and/or Sybase). Oracle provides for full recovery to point in time through redo logs and DBMS mirrored control files(not hw mirroring). SQLServer does not.

Upshot. Do your homework. What is important to you? Installation? Lack of control/ease of administration? Performance of online(hot) backups(archivelog filecopy vs. dumpdb? Hmm...

IMHO I've been sorry for a SQLServer choice, but not yet for an Oracle choice.

--
                      \\///
                      (0-0)