Re: Help! Instance Crashing (detailed)

From: Mary Travis <Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1997/09/18

"Darryl G. Hickson" <hickson_at_voicenet.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
> I have an instance that keeps crashing and I am not sure why. I have been
>working with another DBA and he can't figure it out either. Hopefully some
>of you can help.

> We are running an application called Clintrial which runs on top of the
>Oracle database. The problem started not long after two datafiles were
>added (one to the system tablespace and the other to an index tablespace).
>Before that there had been no problems with the instance. The alert log
>shows that the statements processed correctly and there was no other alters
>performed that day. I have been assured that nothing else was changed in
>the Oracle database or the OS and that the users are doing nothing out of
>the ordinary. But, 30 minutes after the datafiles were added the instance
>crashed and it has been doing it on a regular basis. Looking at the trace
>files, we thought that there were not enough redo logs. But since this has
>begun, I have added an additional 6 redo logs and it is still crashing!

> Any help at all on this will be greatly appreciated. The HW/SW
>particulars, Alert file info and trace files are below.

>TIA,
>Darryl

<trace files snipped>

Darryl,
I found this portion of the trace files to be interesting because it was one of the earlier messages written during the crash:

	16-SEP-1997 13:45:13.98
	OPIRIP: Uncaught error 447. Error stack:
	ORA-00447: fatal error in background process
	ORA-00210: cannot open control file
	'DISK$VAXVMS2H4055:[ORACLE.DB_XX]ORA_CONTROL
	1.CON'
	ORA-07530: sfofi:  $open error
	RMS-E-ACC, ACP file access failed - SYSTEM-F-EXBYTLM, exceeded byte
count quota
	OPIRIP: Detached process complete

Does your system have a limit set on the maximum number of files that can be open at a time? And is it possible that with the addition of two new files to your database that you are burshing against that limit?

Just a thought,
(and good luck)
Mary

Mary Travis
BellSouth Telecommunications
email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com Received on Thu Sep 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message