Re: web database

From: NetHelp International <nethelp_at_orbital.nethelpnow.com>
Date: 1997/07/19

 ====-----------------------

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet
>
> You have two main options to start with.
>
> 1. Writing CGI scripts to access the dbase from the web. This could be
>
> done through several scripting languages such as Perl, Java, VB, etc.
>
> or
>
> 2. For ODBC databases, you could use ASP (Active Server Page) but must
>
> be viewed on IE only (no Netscape) or incorporate ActiveX Controls. Or
>
> you could Java to get connected to a database from the web (but then
> you
> will have to spent a great amount of time understanding JDBC (Java
> Database Connectivity).
>
> Zainal
> Systems Trainee

You might want to try developing the database and then accessing it through web pages with Allaire Corporation's Cold Fusion. It uses HTML tags and sql search commands to interact with the database. This allows for both read ands write access based on permissions you set. Sure makes adding data easier for the employees and the users can readily find what they need. We are doing this at NetHelpNow and will soon have a comprehensive web based support site up. You can check cold fusion out at allaire.com on the web.

Hope this helps,

Rob Received on Sat Jul 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message