Re: Informix vs Oracle, alleged trade secret theft

From: Martyn Richard Jones <martyn1_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/01/29

netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net> writes: > Larry Baker wrote:

> > Yomama Sophat wrote:
> > > 1) Who's in the right?
> > > 2) Who will win in the end?
> > > 3) Who's got the better technology?
> >

> These cases are very scary. Unless the case is about specific theft of
> software or intellectual property, I could see the point. However, more
> and more tech companies are moving forward with these suits as if to say
> they own the minds of their engineers and they are not free to go
> forward and take a better job for a better offer. Its disgusting, and
> as technical professionals we should all be very concerned about this.
> The work I do for my company belongs to them, but my mind belongs to me
> and so do my skills and I can sell them to the highest bidder. I think
> this point gets lost in the discussion sometimes.

Quite right. I went to work for PS a few months ago as a "Principal" Consultant - I had previously done a lot of R&D work on data extraction, rule based data transformation, expert systems and DSS, Semi-Automatic mapping and program generation and had developed a methodology for Data Mart Development _ DM3M. After starting my contract the company I as told, oh! and by the way you have to sign this standard non-disclosure (give up all intellectual rights) agreement. Basically I refused to sign it as it was, who the hell do these companies think they are. As you can imagine I will be leaving this sunnyvale company, and no, I will not be signing any non-disclosure agreement.

Martyn Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message