Re: Striping Tables

From: ME <74577.1525_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1996/12/10

<<Leslie and all,
  Am I so naive? The extents in the Administrator's Guide uses up all of
the data files of the tablespace, thus there is only room for the one t able.
However, I assumed that if there were space left in those data files, subsequent table creation would be striped as well. Was I wrong?

  Thanks,

  Randy

>I saw how I could stripe data across the datafiles in the
>Administrator's Guide, but this would only work for 1 table per set of
>datafiles. That would be a major pain.
>
>Any ideas?

Since you fill the tablespace up with the one table, there is no other room for another table. The idea is that there is no way to control where Oracle puts the blocks for the table UNLESS you fill the tablespace up. I think there needs to be a new option to the create table (or even the create tablespace) command called "STRIPE TABLES", which forces ORACLE to stripe...
One alternitive for tablespaces with multipule tables... create the tablespace, striped and fill it with table #1, create new datafiles then for that tablespace, and fill with table#2, and so on and so on... I've never tried this, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.... Only problem with any of this is you better hope you don't need another extent for those tables! (Unless you add an additional datafile at the end for this purpose...)

Robert Freeman Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message