Re: Slow response from FORMS query

From: Francisco Piragibe <webmaster_at_esquadro.com.br>
Date: 1996/11/29

There are some points you can consider, Andy:

  1. She might have requested retrieval of all records before displaying the results (EXECUTE_QUERY (ALL_RECORDS)). This slows down the perceived response time a lot, once FORMS displays the first screen only after retrieving everything from the result set. When you execute the query in SQL PLUS, for instance, records are often displayed as soon as available, and the perceived response time is usually small or acceptable (unless you're using aggregates or distinct).
  2. She might've coded a lengthy or heavy-duty POST-QUERY, PRE-RECORD, POST-RECORD, PRE-FIELD or POST-FIELD trigger. These PL/SQL blocks execute for every instance of a field or record, and may be the cause of the apparent delays.
  3. She might've run into a lengthy validation logic (ON-VALIDATE-FIELD or ON-VALIDATE-RECORD) after altering some base table field(s) in the POST-QUERY PL/SQL block.
  4. She might've specified immediate record locking (either through EXECUTE_QUERY (FOR_UPDATE) or through altering some base table field in the POST-QUERY trigger), thus causing a lock conflict or lock wait due to concurrent use (it's not likely to be the case, once the application seems to be under test yet). -- Francisco C. P. de Almeida consultant/ webmaster tel: 55-21-2332691 fax: 55-21-2537390 e-mail: piragibe_at_esquadro.com.br

Andy Horne <ahorne_at_netspace.net.au> escreveu no artigo <329CD36A.7707_at_netspace.net.au>...
> A developer brought me some SQL which she said was
 running slowly, so I
> set a trace on and yep, it was. I then ran it myself
 'stand-alone' and
> it
> came back straight away. She ran it 'stand-alone' with
 the same result.
> However, when it is run through FORMS it slows down (104
 secs as opposed
> to about .25 sec).
> What is FORMS doing to cause this? Can I change anything
 to improve it?