Re: Binary large object storage for text

From: Rune Lysbakken <runel_at_sn.no>
Date: 1996/11/29

Kelly McCord <kmccord_at_btg.com> wrote:

>I'm interested in learning about the efficiency of BLOB storage for
>large amounts of text vs. UNIX file system storage. When programming
>with SQL how easy and efficient is it to manipulate and query BLOB text
>data? Are there differences between how Sybase and Oracle handle BLOB
>data? Can there be more than one BLOB column per table?
>
>Please e-mail me answers at kmccord_at_btg.com.
>
>Thanks.

I have sql server and oracle databases here with blobs. Both of them handle the blobs efficient. I have customers with more than 500000 blobs and they are handled without problems. To manipulate them is not that easy, I have not seen good ways to query/seek/find text in the blobs, we are using C programs that fetches a blob and starts the aproprite program ( e.g MS Word) and when Word finishes the updated blob can be stored/updated in the database. We have Query by entry modules that work in a similar way.

Rune Received on Fri Nov 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message