Re: A warning to Oracle contractors in Colorado

From: Carl and Anna <nork1_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/10/22

Backcastn wrote:

> Although I am not an Oracle DBA and never hope to be, you should be aware
> that there are a lot of Colorado outfits that are advertising in the hope
> you will come here.
>
> The reason is that the hope that the lifestyle "change" will overcome any
> other inhibitions you may have. Including a lower salary.
>
> Colorado companies have been doing this for years. They love to bring in
> outsiders, show 'em pictures of the mountains, and fill their heads with
> fantasy about how wonderful life can be here. And for a while it is.
>
> This is a great place to live, as long as you can make a living. But once
> your skills are no longer in demand, don't count on it being pleasant
> experience. Just ask all the geologists and other people who have moved
> here during previous boom times.
>
> Backcastn in Denver

I think you could say the same about a lot of other areas and professions. Geologists in Texas and Louisiana went through a lot of the same pain as they did here, and for the same reasons.

Salaries for many jobs aren't as high as they are in, say, California. Then again, neither are the taxes or the cost of housing. When I moved here some 5 years ago, I took a lateral salary and increased my disposable income by some $1,000 per month just because of those factors alone.

I do think that it is a symptom of our current work environment that skills that we counted on to last us a lifetime are outdated in some 15 years, if that long. That's why a lot of career counselors are now advising us that we'll make at least one career change, if not more, in our working lives.

Personally, I'd much rather be here - enjoying Colorado - than a whole lot of other places I've lived (like Virginia, Texas, California, and Louisiana).

Carl Received on Tue Oct 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message