Re: Forms: PC locks up during PL/SQL process

From: Rafael Ramirez <raffy_at_erika.upd.edu.ph>
Date: 1996/10/11

Why not use the dbms_job package to run the process in the background at the server. Look at the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory for dbmsjob.sql for details - you also need to set parameters in the init.ora file to enable the job servers. There are several papers on this already but I have to look them up - I can e-mail them to you later if you need them.

You can then use the utl_file package with Oracle 7.3 to log the results to a file at the server and later to read the output. Without Oracle 7.3, you need to make a daemon run at the server to write or read from files at the server via the dbms_pipe package. You need to log the status of the process in a table to prevent duplicate execution and to mark the job as executed already.

I have use both methods successfully for running production jobs and I am now trying out a way to have the running process show its progress back to the client as text lines (maybe even a bar meter later on to show its % progress in its work - i.e., if a formula for that is possible with the process being executed).

Rafael S. Ramirez raffy_at_erika.upd.edu.ph Independent Oracle Consultant Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engg. Snail Mail: c/o EEE Dept., University of the Philippines, Diliman QC 1101