Re: procedural programming

From: Fabio Ferrari <fferrari_at_mail.enjoy.it>
Date: 1996/10/09

Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com> wrote in article <325a8239.9414199_at_n5.gbso.net>...
> What's the best way to do procedural structured programming for an
> oracle database? PL/SQL with dynamic cursors, or PRO*C? What're the
> main advantags?

PL/SQL:
need no C or C++ compilers
code is executed server-side (may be faster) isn't general purpose
link to O.S. isn't so good
writing SQL statements is easier
the user interface is poor
is O.S. indipendent

PRO*C:
you need a C compiler for the client O.S. and the Oracle PRO*C preprocessor.
C is general purpose
C is open to many O.S.
there are mountains of code and libraries written with C

Someone else will find additional features.

Usually i prefer PL/SQL when there is no interaction with an O.S., the user or other C code.

Good work and Bye.

P.S. Please mail me your choice and reasons, thanks.

Fabio Ferrari
GeDInfo scrl
fferrari_at_mail.enjoy.it Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message