Case insensitive searching.

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/10/04

People,

Has anyone out there tried to implement case insensitive searching using a nls module to fool the db? When I spoke to Oracle about this, they (honestly) suggested that the best way to it was to use SQL like

	Select blah from blah where
	( name like 'SM%' or
	name like 'sm%' or
	name like 'Sm%' or
	name like 'sM%') and
	to_upper(name) = 'SMITH';

Foolishly, I was kind of hoping for a response from my server sometime this century, rather than go the way of the pharohs using the above method.

Has anyone tried any other methods of achieving this. (I have a TAR currently open requesting an upgrade that supports case-insensitive searching, but I think I'm the 50000000th person to ask - and be declined!)

Ciao
Fuzzy