Re: Case insensitive searching.

From: g wayne nichols <gwn_at_cyber3.servtech.com>
Date: 1996/10/04

In <01bbb1c8$77ff0d80$bf0000c5_at_Garry.triniti.troitsk.ru> "Garry M. Filimonov" <garry_at_fly.triniti.troitsk.ru> writes:

>Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au> wrote in article <32546d8c.0_at_red.interact.net.au>...
>> People,
>>
>> Has anyone out there tried to implement case insensitive searching
>> using a nls module to fool the db? When I spoke to Oracle about this,
>> they (honestly) suggested that the best way to it was to use SQL like
>>

>Why don't:

>Select blah from blah where UPPER(name) like 'SM%';

Because this disables any index on "name", so it could be a long while before you see your results.

So far, we have solved this by storing the data in the database twice: in mixed case (for display) and in upper case (for searching). The upper case version is included in an index.

Of course, in Clipper I would just have defined an index on UPPER(name) and be done with it. :-)

Computer General		Rochester, NY			(716) 436-6372
      "... providing general computer solutions to specific business problems"
                              gwn_at_servtech.com