Re: 1 or 2 databases and/or servers?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/09/30

Joe,

I tend to disagree with you recommendation. I'd probably recommend that both databases reside on one server, on one SID under two separate userids.

Reasons:

  1. Backups: 1 set taken instead of 2
  2. Maintenance: system maintentance on 1 machine
    • most ops groups I know would rather have fewer big machines than lots of little ones. : app maintenance same either way
  3. Access: Users can have 1 userid & 1 'connect string'
  4. Security: Security defined using grants/synonyms for 1 userid.
  5. Development: Developers can write app to access both DBs from one 'set' of screens. In your solution, the tendancy would be to force the user to 'log off' one DB and on to the other.
  6. Expansion: Easier (and cheaper) to justify 1 4Gig drive than 2 2Gig drives. Less initial memory required. (Each system has it's own overhead BEFORE Oracle is installed)
  7. Upgrades: consistency. Fewer chances that users will have to use 2 versions simltaneously. Ops will only have to maintain & upgrade 1 system.
  8. Cost: Fewer copies of RDBMS to 'purchase'. Fewer maintenance people. More developer & ops cross-training.

And yes, I have a strong mainframe & glass castle background. But these arguements also come from 12 years in Oracle under Unix & many years of Oracle under PC.

/Hans