Re: ORA-00942 Help, please?

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/28

Rose,

You can call me if you like at 804-262-6332. Here are some things to consider.

  1. Does this user, say User_A, own the object, say Object_1, being accessed? I expect not, or this error would not occur.
  2. The user is probably trying to access Object_1 which is owner by some other account, say User_B. User_A should then access Object_1 either with a fully qualified reference, User_B.Object_1, or by creating a synonym (alias) for the object, as follows:

    create synonym Object_1 for User_B.Object_1;

3. User_A will require privileges on Object_1 owner by User_B. Only User_B can grant the privileges to User_A. Without privileges, the object still is not visible to User_A. Thus,

    connect User_B;
    grant select[,update,delete,insert] on Object_1 to User_A;

4. At this point, with a synonym and privileges, User_A should have no problems.

Hope this helps.

Steve Long
IT Services, Inc.
804-262-6332