Re: Export/Import for defragmentation

From: Peter Moore <ptmoore_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1996/09/26

csharris_at_netcom.com (C Scott Harris) wrote:

> In article <Dy74y8.A0F_at_info.uucp>, Brad Baker <bbaker_at_mach2.wlu.ca> wrote:
> >1) Is there a means of determining the extent of fragmentation?

> You can do it by hand, but Platinum has a virtually free utility
> that will do this on unix based systems. It is free, but you are
> required to enter name/address/phone and will likely be contacted
> by a sales rep. If you're interested, go to http://www.platinum.com/
> then products, find TSReorg and then resource center.

I'm having trouble reconciling the 'virtually free' mentioned here and the £15,000 to £20,000 per machine quoted to us by the Platinum saleman. And that figure is AFTER huge discounts given because they were desparate for the business.

I'm sorry, but no product with such a limited operating scope is worth that sort of money.

--
Peter Moore.
DBA, IS Ops,