Re: Export/Import for defragmentation

From: C Scott Harris <csharris_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/25

In article <Dy74y8.A0F_at_info.uucp>, Brad Baker <bbaker_at_mach2.wlu.ca> wrote:
>I have a 6 Gig Oracle 7.2.2.3.0 database which has approximately
>doubled in size since its creation. The database has grown
>through many small transactions (if that will help in diagnosis).
>I am interested in determing the extent of fragmentation in the
>database, as well as defragmenting the database.
>
>1) Is there a means of determining the extent of fragmentation?

You can do it by hand, but Platinum has a virtually free utility that will do this on unix based systems. It is free, but you are required to enter name/address/phone and will likely be contacted by a sales rep. If you're interested, go to http://www.platinum.com/ then products, find TSReorg and then resource center.

>2) Should I use export/import to defrag the database?
>3) Is there a better way?

TSReorg does that.

Scott Harris
csharris_at_netcom.com Received on Wed Sep 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message