Re: Export/Import for defragmentation

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/09/26

bbaker_at_mach1.wlu.ca (Brad Baker) wrote:

>I have a 6 Gig Oracle 7.2.2.3.0 database which has approximately
[snip]

>1) Is there a means of determining the extent of fragmentation?
>2) Should I use export/import to defrag the database?
>3) Is there a better way?

Hi Brad -

        I've just gone through an import/export to defrag our production database, which is about 4 Gig. The export took 3.5 hours and the import took 7.5 hours....

Export/Import certainly does the trick, and everything looks much neater now. It also allowed me to do some massive re-organisation of the tablespace files/locations, etc.

I've also come across a couple of papers that suggest that you can largely eliminate fragmentation through some careful tuning -

Avoiding a database reorganization - C. Shallahamer, Oracle Services, 02-Nov-94

Oracle7 Server space management - C. Millsap, Oracle Corp.

Obtainable at www.europa.com/~orapub (as far as I remember!)

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **