Re: HELP with dropping tablespaces needed!

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/09/25

The drop tablespace statement is almost instaneous. It is the 'including contents' that is probably taking a really long time.

Issue: select count(*) from sys.dba_segments where tablespace_name = '<tablespace_name>'

Each one of those objects will be dropped one by one. The dependency mechanism will kick in and invalid objects. The data dictionary will be updated. Lots of stuff will be happening.

To see how many objects are left to be dropped, issue that above query in another window as the drop tablespace is taking place. you should see the count go down over time. When it hits zero, you will be done. This can take a really long time if you have hundreds of objects in this tablespace and/or you have hundreds of procedures/packages that refer to objects in this tablespace (the dependency mechanism will invalidate these objects)

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:26:14 -0400, vovos <stancu_at_nortel.ca> wrote:

>Hi, guys!
>Recently, I've being trying to drop a huge tablespace(about 100M), but
>very fragmented(about 6 datafiles). The result was nill, after more
>the 2 hours, then I decided is time to kill the process.
>Does anybody know how long should run a 'drop tablespace ...' ? I
>forgot to mention that, I didn't notice any error or warning running
>the following statements:
>
>SQLDBA>connect internal;
>SQLDBA>alter tablespace <tablespace_name> offline;
>SQLDBA>drop tablespace <tablespace_name> INCLUDING CONTENTS;
>
>But, as I sed, I gaveup after more than 2 hours.
>Maybe, I didn't use the right solution?
>Can anyone help?
>Thanks, Victor.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Sep 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message