Reports 2.5 question

From: Maureen T. English <snmte_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/09/12

Hi All,

I've been working on what I thought was a simple database query and have run into a problem I'm having trouble solving.

The report uses a less abbreviated version of the following query:

SELECT ALL table1.title,
           table2.title,
           table3.acct_code,
           table3.title,
           table4.fund_code,
           table4.title,
           SUM(DECODE(table5.fsyr_code, '96',
              NVL(table5.dr,0) - NVL(table5.cr,0),0))))
                   current_balance
FROM table1,
     table2,
     table3,
     table4,
     table5
GROUP BY table1.title,
         table2.title,
         table3.acct_code,
         table3.title,
         table4.fund_code,
         table4.title
ORDER BY table1.title,
         table2.title,
         table3.acct_code,
         table3.title,
         table4.fund_code,
         table5.title;

Before I continue, I know that the Decode fsyr '96' part should really be in the where clause, but when it't there (using indexes properly...) the query takes forever...with the decode, it takes about 10 minutes.

The query is used to generate a report that looks something like:

Assets

   Accounts and Notes Receivable

      1234  Travel Advances
         123456  University General Funds         (dollar amount)

All is fine when there are numbers (+ or -) in the dollar amount field, but when there are no dollars there (dollar amount=0), I don't want the information to show. I can put a filter on the group containing the fund information and those rows get suppressed, but I can't seem to suppress the other titles. I tried the same filter on the other groups (each one of the lines above is in a repeating frame within its own group).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I've been searching through the manuals and intend to take them home with me tonight, too.

Thanks in advance.