Re: Can Oracle Home be on the server instead of client?

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/02

Richard D Holowczak wrote:

> Wayne Linton <lintonw_at_cadvision.com> writes:
>
> >John Duska wrote:
> >>
> >> Can I just install the Oracle Windows client software on the
> >> server, instead of on each client? The clients will all just access Deve
> >> 2000 and other tools on the server. Then I wont have to waste disk space
> >> on the clients. Will this work ok? (Novell Netware, btw.)
> >> thanks
> >> John
> >>

> >yes, no problem. Each client needs an ORACLE.INI that points to the
> >ORACLE_HOME and other parms that point to your LAN-based software. The
> >icons that run on the client need also to point to the LAN.
>
> Please note a few "gotcha's" with this approach:
> Many of the Oracle tools need a temporary disk space to write
> temp files when working. Looks especially at Reports. It's
> default temp directory is in the ORACLE_HOME hierarchy
> somewhere.
>
> THe point is, if you don't have "write" access to the
> directories, Reports will not work and will not give
> any menaingful error messages.
>
> 2 Solutions: 1) Give write acces on the appropriate directories.
> I don't advocate this approach especially if
> more than 1 developer is working at a time.
> 2) Go into the ORACLE.INI and change any tempoary
> directory references to point to C:\TEMP or
> some other local (client side) temp directory.
>
> We got stung on this one for quite some time....
>
> Rich H.
> ---
> Rich Holowczak E-Mail: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
> Rutgers University http://cimic3.rutgers.edu/~holowcza/
This answer is almost complete. If you are working on Windows, you also have to change the "working directory" property attached to the icon in the program manager. Reports uses that directory to save temporary data, ignoring temp settings in oracle.ini. Received on Mon Sep 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message