Re: HELP: ORACLE 7.1 under Solaris 2.5

From: Peter Marelas <maral_at_phase-one.com.au>
Date: 1996/09/02

Markus Hasleder wrote:

> When Starting ORACLE 7.1 under Solaris 2.5 the Database give
> this error:
>
> >ORA-7331: smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion of
> >the SGA.
> >Additional information: 4
>
> Can anybody translate this errormessage or advise us, how to
> deal with this error?
>
> Has anybody access to the platform-specific ORACLE 7
> Server-manuals and will send us the error explanation?
>
> Thank you in advance. It's urgent.
>
> Markus Hasleder

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/oerr ora 7331

For some more information regarding the error.

As for the error itself, your shared memory settings are not large enough to cope with the instance settings held in the instances init file, and your probably running more than 1 instance. (?)

You can do either of 3 things.

  1. Decrease the common settings in your init file for the instance. i.e. If its defined as HIGH, define it as MEDIUM or LOW. The SGA size is calculated via a formulae where the values are in the init file. One of those values is the shared_pool_size. I havent got the formulae handy, but you can find it on oracles WWW site http://www.oracle.com/ if you look hard enough.
  2. Increase the shared memory settings in /etc/system and reboot. If the system is a dedicated oracle 7 server, then there should be no problem increasing the maximum shared segment to (> physical memory+ and < physical+virtual memory). Also the SHMMNI (Identifier) must be > than the defined value : processes, for each instance.
  3. Get an expert to tune the OS for your environment. -- Peter Marelas maral_at_phase-one.com.au Phase One Interactive http://www.phase-one.com.au